In order to maintain his professional status and to be part of organizations that foster and promote objective, broad-based, fee-only financial planning, Carl maintains membership or is affiliated with the following organizations:
Certified Financial Planner Board
The Certified Financial Planner Board is the organization that confers the Certified Financial Planner designation and enforces compliance with ethical and professional standards by certificants. In order to earn the CFP® designation, a candidate must meet the following requirements:
- Education - must have earned a bachelors degree, plus an approved course of study that includes specialized training in various financial planning topics such as Investments, Insurance, Income Tax, Estate, Retirement, Communication, and Fiduciary Responsibility.
- Examination - must pass a rigorous, multi-discipline exam administered by the CFP® Board
- Experience - must have three years of experience in the financial planning process
- Ethics - must agree to adhere to the CFP® Board’s Standards of Professional Conduct
For more information, please visit the CFP® Board Website
American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
The AICPA represents the CPA profession nationally. The Institute’s founding in 1887 established accountancy as a profession distinguished by rigorous educational requirements, high professional standards, a strict code of professional ethics, a licensing status and a commitment to serving the public interest.
- oversees rule-making and standard-setting
- serves as an advocate before legislative bodies, public interest groups and other professional organizations
- develops and grades the Uniform CPA Examination
- monitors and enforces compliance with the profession’s technical and ethical standards.
For more information, please visit the AICPA Website.
National Association of Personal Financial Advisors
The National Association of Personal Financial Advisors (NAPFA) is the country’s leading professional association of Fee-Only financial advisors—highly trained professionals who are committed to working in the best interests of those they serve.
NAPFA members live by three important values:
- To be the beacon for independent, objective financial advice for individuals and families
- To be the champion of financial services delivered in the public interest
- To be the standard bearer for the emerging profession of financial planning
To find out more, visit the NAPFA website.
The Fee-Only Network enables consumers to locate fee-only financial advisors in their area. They also assist consumers in their search by providing education materials and other resources related to financial planning. Fee-Only financial advisors specialize in financial planning, retirement planning, wealth management, tax planning, investment management, estate planning, and more.
You can visit the Fee-Only Network here.
Garrett Planning Network
The Garrett Planning Network has a nationwide membership of over 300 independent, Fee-Only financial planners providing advice to people from all walks of life, without minimum account requirements, sales commissions, or long-term commitments. Their members proudly embrace their fiduciary duty, always placing their clients' best interests first. Garrett provides ongoing financial planning training and education to its member firms through their conferences, seminars, webinars, and online Planning Knowledge Bank.
You can learn more at Garrett’s Website.